Welcome to Sunset Heights

Sunday, September 10, 2006

September 11.... Five Years Later: A departure from the usual blog postings and an explaination

I am taking a brief departure from writing about log cabins, New Hampshire, family and building to reflect on one of the most horrible important historical events of our lifetime. September 11-5 years later. Now I hope this blog's usual readers- basically my friends and family- will allow me this departure.

I don't have the words to do justice to my thoughts about this moment in history, but I will try to adequately express how I feel and convey my tribute to all whose lives were affected and those who perrished in the attacks 5 years ago.

Five years ago, as I was getting ready to go to work, I had the Today Show on in the morning. It was a lively early September day, you know, one of those days when you think of hope, and the new school year, and all being right with the world. Al Roker made some coment about it being a perfect day, or something to that effect. I think the major news story of the day was shark attacks. Life was good. I was at my office, when I read on Boston.com that a plane had hit the World Trade Center. The news went from bad to worse as the day progressed, and my co-workers and I watched and listened in horror. Of course confusion ensued and I frantically emailed to find out if my cousin Peter who worked in NYC was ok. (he was.) Outside in the streets it was like a ghost town-everything quiet and somber, and everybody was glued to a TV set. Life as we knew it would never be the same.

The weekend after September 11, my family made out way up to New Hampshire, up to camp. We were planning to go up then anyways, to celebrate my Dad's birthday. Peter and John were up there that weekend, too. After such a traumatic week it seemed more important than ever to be with family, to be with the people we loved.

And so life has gone on. 1825 days. Life gets back to normal. Except for the people whose lives will never be the same. As I paused and I reflected on how I might honor what happened 60 months ago to ordinary people, who got up in the morning, went to work, and had their lives ripped appart, I found I was not alone in my desire to commemorate this event.

I came upon the 2996 project. 2,996 is a tribute to the victims of 9/11.
On September 11, 2006, 2,996 volunteer bloggers like me will join together for a tribute to the victims of 9/11.Each person will pay tribute to a single victim.
We will honor them by remembering their lives, and not by remembering their murderers. I am blogger 2853, and I will be honoring James G. Smith. If you want to learn more about this project go to http://http://www.dcroe.com/2996/?page_id=34

In closing, I would like to say as corny as it sounds- life life to the fullest. Love the people you love and tell them that often, laugh with your friends, try to find joy in the mundane and the ridiculous. Live your life with happiness. No one knows what the next moment brings. All we can do is remember the the stories of the victims, and honor their lives by living ours.

As always:
Peace, love and happiness,

Martha

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home