Welcome to Sunset Heights

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Does this ring a bell?

When I was a very young child, probably about three or 4 years old, I used to go up to Wilton, NH to visit my Great Auntie Alice at her apple orchard. She had a big ( or what seemed big to me when I was a little girl) rambling old farmhouse. My favorite part of being at her house was her door. It had this magical bell in the middle of it. If you turned the crank it would ring. I was transfixed and enchanted. It was then, not even yet in kindergarden, that I made a promise to myself.
My promise was this: If I ever have a home of my own, I will have a doorbell likemy Auntie Alice's. I'm sure she never knew what an impact she made on my life. Now, although I am hoping to by a condo someday, I rent an appartment. And I was starting to think this dream, however silly and frivilous, was never going to come true.


But then, with the building of our New Hampshire house, my dream re-emerged. Last week I was walking on Charles St. in Boston-near the Boston Common. And I saw a sign in a store window that said "Antique Hardware". I thought "Could it be?" It was. As I pushed the door open to step in to the shop was the doorbell I was looking for my entire life. So even though it's a silly thing, it's a reminder to never give up. Some dreams can come true....even if it takes 33 years.

P.S. Although the other grownups in our camp don't have the same affection for the bell as me (especially due to it's excessive use this weekend), Alex and Ali love the doorbell as much as I do. Posted by Picasa

1 comment(s):

Hahah!! That is such an adorable story! So glad it has a happy ending and you finally got your doorbell. I was going to say something about being a "ding-a-ling", but I will refrain. ;-)

By the way...it is a really neat doorbell.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:03 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home